Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Fall window boxes



Fall window boxes, here I come! I am in the process of painting my new flower boxes that Steven Spoon built for me. Dilemma, dilemma, dilemma. Paint them white like my home? Or h'aint green or a funky fun color to complement my chartreuse door.  I need counseling.

However, I do know what I want to put into the three boxes. Semi-edible assemblies of lettuce, peppers, some herbs, a flash of color, and something that cascades down the front here and there. Maybe some mums or ivy... Inspiratin comes easy. Its the perspiration that gets me.

What I have learned online:  if you have the boxes custom made, make sure to have your handyman drill a couple of small holes at the bottom of the boxes to ensure proper drainage.  Once this is complete, fill the box up to about 2'' from the top with a mixture of peat moss and dirt.  Dig a tiny hole and add the flowers making sure to space them appropriately to allow your flowers to spread. Depending on your choice of flowers and how much sun you receive, water accordingly and feed 1 -2 times a month (http://www.ehow.com/how_4870695_plant-spring-window-boxes.html),

No comments:

Post a Comment